The Diet Keys here are reducing the fat used and substituting a small quantity of yogurt for the usual soured cream. Compared to recipes I checked online, this version has at least 100 fewer calories per portion as a result. It’s not as creamy, of course, but quite acceptable
Quantities are approximate and per person – multiply as necessary if cooking for more than one!
- 150g Fillet or Sirloin steak (ask at the butchery counter for fillet “tails”, they’re ideal for this and much cheaper)
- 100g mushrooms (I used a mix of button and wild mushrooms, but any variety works
- 10g butter
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50ml whisky, brandy, vodka or cachaça (or any spirit that doesn’t taste of anis!)
- 1 tbsp thick yogurt (Lancashire Farm, Greek or similar)
- 1 generous teaspoon of crushed/ground black peppercorns or, if you have them, crushed green peppercorns
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
- Remove any fat, skin or cartilage that the butcher may have left on the steak.