Who we are
This is the personal website of the author Oliver Dowson. Our website address is: https://oliverdowson.com.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you contact us using a contact form on our website or on an associated third party website (e.g. Bookfunnel or Amazon) we will collect your email address solely for the purpose of sending occasional newsletter emails. You can unsubscribe from these at any time by replying with the word ‘unsubscribe’ or by writing to us.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
Oliver Dowson does not share your data with any business or individual.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
You have rights under data protection law in relation to our use of your information, including to:
- request access to your information, which you can do by emailing [email protected] stating you are submitting a Subject Access Request
- update or amend your information if it is inaccurate or incomplete by emailing [email protected] requesting an update object to certain uses of your personal data (which includes direct marketing and processing based on legitimate interests and processing for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics) on grounds relating to your particular situation by emailing [email protected]
- request the deletion of your information, or restrict its use, in certain circumstances (for example you can request that we erase your information where the information is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, unless certain exceptions apply) by emailing [email protected]
- withdraw any consents you have provided in respect of our use of your information either by clicking unsubscribe links in emails or emailing [email protected]
- request the return of information you have provided to us, to use for your own purposes (often called your right to data portability) where the processing is based on your consent or for the performance of a contract, and the processing is carried out by automated means;
- lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://www.ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/) quoting Oliver Dowson’s registration number ZB520321.
We may need to ask you for further information and identification to help us to comply with any such request. More information about these rights can be found at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/. If you have any questions about these rights, or you would like to exercise any of them, please contact us at [email protected].
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.